Dr. Khoddamzadeh’s Conservation & Sustainable Horticulture Lab projects broadly covers how to integrate the science and the stakeholders’ need to address the real challenges associated with climate change and species endangerment. This multidisciplinary research addresses a range of topics including in-vitro propagation (tissue culture) and gene-banking (cryopreservation) of the endangered plants, mycorrhizal fungi in urban environment, seed technology and biotechnology assessments, and optical non-destructive handheld sensor technology for sustainable water and fertilizer management of horticultural crops which is the very valuable practice for precision management decision making in botanic gardens, farms and nursery production.
Read more on Rare orchids could be saved by common fruits in Florida, research finds.
Read more on Nitrogen Management and Plant Quality Monitoring Using Optical Sensor Technology in Native and Non-Native Specialty Crops and Scientists manage fertilizers to reduce environmental issues and Dr. Horticulture iPhone App
Read more on Student works to save endangered orchids with friendly fungi
Read more on Professor developing new tool for plant parents and Scientists manage fertilizers to reduce environmental issues
View Dr. Khoddamzadeh’s publications on Google Scholar
View Dr. Khoddamzadeh’s ORCID Page
- Khoddamzadeh, A.A, Flores, J., Griffith, P and Souza Costa, B. N. 2023. Climate change adaptation and saltwater intrusion ecophysiological effects on Pseudophoenix Sargentii, Roystonea Regia, Sabal Palmetto ‘lisa’, and Thrinax Radiata in South Florida. Special Issue “Environmental Threats to the State of Florida-Climate Change and Beyond: Volume II”. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. Sec. Biogeography and Macroecology Volume 11 https://doi.org/10.3389/fevo.2023.1127679.
- Khoddamzadeh, A.A and Souza Costa, B.N. 2023. Best Nitrogen Management Practices Using Sensor-Based Smart Agriculture in Nursery Production of Cacao. Horticulturae. 9, 454. https://doi.org/10.3390/ horticulturae9040454
- Costa, B.N, Tucker, D.A, and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2023. Precision Horticulture: Application of Optical Sensor Technology for Nitrogen Monitoring Status in Cocoplum, a Native Landscaping Plant. Special Issue “Precision Nutrient Management for Climate-Smart Agriculture”. Plants. 12, 760. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants12040760
- Khoddamzadeh, A.A and Dunn, B.L. 2022. Embryo Rescue via Artificial Seed Technique and Long-Term Preservation of Zephyranthes. American Journal of Plant Sciences. 13, 1347-1359. doi: 10.4236/ajps.2022.1311091.
- Mullin, A., Downing, J. Souza Costa, B and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2022. In-Vitro Micropropagation and acclimatization of endangered native orchids. HortScience 57(9):1159–1166. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTSCI16672-22.
- Balilashaki, K., Vahedi, M., Ho, TT., Niu, SC., Cardoso, J.S., Zotz, G and Khodamzadeh, A.A. 2022. Biochemical, cellular and molecular aspects of Cymbidium orchids: an ecological and economic overview. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum. 44, 24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-022-03359-w.
- De Stefano, D., Souza Costa, B., Downing, J., Fallahi, E and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2022. In-Vitro Micropropagation and Acclimatization of an Endangered Native Orchid Using Organic Supplements. American Journal of Plant Sciences. 13, 380-393. https://doi.org/10.4236/ajps.2022.133023.
- Kaviani, B., Almasi, A., Sedaghathoor, S. and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2021. A protocol for fast in vitro propagation of Impatiens hawkeri Bull. cv. Sweeties Blue Star, an important ornamental-cover species. Rodriguésia. 72: doi: 10.1590/2175-7860202172053.
- Fallahi, E., Khoddamzadeh, A.A., Fallahi, B. and Mahdavi, S. 2020. Branched Secondary Alcohol Ethoxylate, Ammonium Thiosulfate, Calcium polysulfides- thiosulfate, and Fish Oil Effects on Blossom Thinning, Fruit Set and Quality of Peaches and Nectarines. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 11, 1918-1933. doi: 10.4236/ajps.2020.1112137.
- Balilashaki, K., Moradi, S., Vahedi, M. and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2020. A molecular perspective on orchid development. The Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology. 10.1080/14620316.2020.1727782.
- Freidenreich, A., Barraza, G., Jayachandran, K. and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2019. Precision Agriculture Application for Sustainable Nitrogen Management of Justicia brandegeana Using Optical Sensor Technology. Agriculture. 9 (5), 98; https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture9050098.
- Vendrame, W and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2016. Orchid Biotechnology. Jules Janick (Ed.), Horticultural Reviews, Volume 44 (pp. 173-228). https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119281269.ch4
- Khoddamzadeh, A.A. and Dunn, B.L. 2016. Application of canopy sensors for nitrogen assessment management in chrysanthemum. HortScience. 51 (7): 915-920.
- Dunn, B.L., Shrestha, A., Goad, C. and Khoddamzadeh, A.A. 2015. Use of optical sensors to assess Gaillardia Foug. nitrogen status. Journal of Applied Horticulture. 17 (3): 181-185.
- Khoddamzadeh, A.A., Sinniah, U.R., Lynch, P., Kadir, M.A., Kadzimin, S.B. and Maziah, M. 2011. Cryopreservation of Protocorm-Like Bodies (PLBs) of Phalaenopsis bellina (Rchb.f.) Christenson by Encapsulation-Dehydration. Plant Cell, Tissue & Organ Culture. 107 (3): 471-481.
- Khoddamzadeh, A.A., Sinniah, U.R., Kadir, M.A., Kadzimin, S.B and Maziah, M. 2011. In- vitro Induction and Proliferation of Protocorm-Like Bodies (PLBs) from Leaf Segments of Phalaenopsis bellina (Rchb.f.) Christenson. Plant Growth Regulation. 65 (2): 381-387.
- James Antony, J.J., Sinniah, U.R., Ceong, C.L., Pobathy, R., Khoddamzadeh, A.A. and Sreeramanan, S. 2011. Selected potential encapsulation – dehydration parameters on Dendrobium Bobby Messina protocorm – like bodies using TTC analysis. Australian Journal of Crop Sciences. 5 (13): 1817-1822.
- Sreeramanan, S., Sinniah, U.R., Khoddamzadeh, A.A., Periasamy, S. and James, J. 2011. Fundamental concept of cryopreservation using Dendrobium sonia-17 protocorm-like bodies by encapsulation-dehydration technique. African Journal of Biotechnology. 10 (19): 3902-3907.
- Khoddamzadeh, A.A., Sinniah, U.R., Kadir, M.A., Kadzimin, S.B. and Maziah, M. 2011. Synthetic Seed Production: Establishment of a Short-term Storage Method via Encapsulation of PLBs in Phalaenopsis bellina (Rchb.f.) Christenson. Seed Science and Technology. 39 (3): 697-702.
- Zainudin, M., Julkifle, A.L., Pobathy, R., Sinniah, U.R., Khoddamzadeh, A.A., James Antony, J.J. and Sreeramanan, S. 2011. Preliminary analysis on cryopreservation of Dendrobium/ Bobby Messina orchid using an encapsulation-dehydration technique with Evans blue assay. African Journal of Biotechnology. 10 (56): 11870-11878.
- Khoddamzadeh A.A, Sinniah U.R, Kadir M.A, Kadzimin S.B, Maziah, M. and Sreeramanan, S. 2010. Detection of Somaclonal Variation by Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA Analysis During Micropropagation of Phalaenopsis bellina (Rchb.f.) Christenson. African Journal of Biotechnology. 4 (90): 6632-6639.